Sunday, December 28, 2008

Moonpies, Peaches, and Pelicans: New Years Southern Style


Yes, Mobile, Alabama is going to drop an electronic moonpie at midnight this year. The materials include:

• 1200-1500 golf ball-size clear lights;
• Eight sheets of 2-by-2 square aluminum tubing;
• Ten sheets of plywood;
• Massive amount of banana colored mache;

They are also serving a four foot moonpie. It has six pounds of chocolate icing and fourteen pounds of marshmallow.

They chose moonpies because of their connection with Mardi Gras. They throw moon pies at Mardi Gras. You've never been to a real southern parade until you've been beaned in the head with a moonpie. My thought is that if I were drinking, the last thing I would want to eat would be a moonpie. That makes for some nasty stuff to come up.

Not to be left out, Pensacola is also launching their unique celebration. While New York has their ball drop and Atlanta has the peach drop, Pensacola is proud to stake claim to the one-and-only Pelican drop. When I heard they were having a pelican drop. I immediately thought of WKRP's Turkey drop. "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Back in 2004 right before Hurricane Ivan came to town, Pensacola had decorated Pelican's set out around town. My sister and I Pelican hunted for the day. Here are a couple of my favorites:





Moonpies, Peaches, and Pelicans. The South knows how to ring in the new year.