Sunday, May 10, 2009

Is it a sign?

My sweetie and I are planning to go get our Marriage license tomorrow. In the state of Florida you have to have present your social security card as well as show proof of termination of previous marriages. A couple of months ago I sent off for a certified copy of his divorce certificate. I already had mine. Once I received his, I put it with all my important papers so when the time came I would know exactly where it was. Great theory except in my world. I spent all of yesterday frantically tearing through my file cabinet going through every stupid piece of paper in there. I seriously need to rethink what I keep and why. I went through it at least a half a dozen times. I know I put it in there. Nothing.

My Sweetie says, "It's a sign".

"It's a sign I'm a bubble headed half blonde".

This morning I checked again. Nothing. I start drumming my fingers on my temples, "THINK, THINK, THINK." What file was next to my "important paper files"? I don't know now since I have moved them all around. Finally after another full search through both drawers in the filing cabinet, I walk into the living room to surrender. I notice my "school file" sitting on the end table. I pulled it out of the file cabinet yesterday to stick my new tuition papers in it so I know exactly where they are.

"I, wonder."

Yeah, I found it. It was stuck in the very back of it. It wouldn't be so bad but I remember thinking when I stuck the document in the folder, "I sure hope I got in the right one."

I wiped the sweat off my forehead and breathed a sigh of relief. Boy, was that premature. Now, I can't find my social security card. Until recently, I carried it in my purse. But, I remember thinking, "You know, I should put this somewhere safe." Crap here we go again.

So, now I'm tip-toeing around the house hunting for my social security card.

"Honey, what are you doing"?

"You don't want to know."

Damn, maybe it is a sign.