Saturday, February 21, 2009

Economic Stimulus

I've read the highlights of the Economic recovery act in the papers. It's a list about 2 pages long. I was curious about what all was in the entire Stimulus bill. So, I googled it. Holy Crap! It's 407 pages long. I bet only a handfull of our Congress actually read the entire thing. I know I can't. I was mind boggled by page 4. I scrolled and scrolled looking at all the spending. I haven't gotten to the part of how it is funded. I live under a rock so if it's been on the news I've missed it. But, I'm pretty sure it's going to come from my paycheck.

I'm still trying to figure out how an extra $13 per week in my take home pay is going to encourage me to spend. I've already been cut back to 36 hours per week. The stimulus money doesn't even pay me back one hour. But, if I buy an automobile by the end of the year I can write off the sales tax. If I can find a dealer willing to sell me a car so that my payments are $52 a month then I'll appreciate the tax credits and be willing to go further in debt.

I'm not seeing how this stimulus is going to stimulate anything. From the quick look at the Bill, it looks like most of the jobs it creates are government jobs. That I means I have more people to support.

Yes, I'm skeptical.