Saturday, November 17, 2007

Let's Bring them home

I know we just did the fund raising for Valour It. But, I have another important cause that needs help. Let's Bring them Home. There are soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines who don't have the funds to go home for the holidays. These are the junior enlisted military personnel. This is an excerpt from their site.

I want to take a minute and remind everyone of the purpose behind LBEH. We are not for the war in Iraq, nor are we against it. We are not Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green or Independent. Our motives serve not to change world events, or your perception of them. Our mission is as simple, as it is noble. All we want to do is unite a few military families for the Christmas holiday. That's it. No hidden agendas, no political speeches. We just buy plane tickets for troops. Period.

Last year we raised over $75,000 and helped 150 soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines go home for Christmas. This year we'd like to do the same, and we need your help to do it! Remember, your donations are tax deductible!

Each year the names change, but the song remains the same. Each year we receive ticket requests from young soldiers, airmen, sailors and Marines. Each not wanting to spend a holiday alone in their dorms, and hoping that we can help get them home to see their families. Each year I receive heart wrenching emails from a young female soldier who was forced to send her children to live with their grandparents, while she fulfilled her military duties. And now the only thing she wants for Christmas is to be able to give her children presents in person. Are you going to tell her no? Each year a young soldier fresh out of boot camp pines for the chance to spend just one more holiday with his parents before beginning a long deployment to the Middle East. Will he come home in once piece? Will he come home at all? I don't know. But what if this is his last Christmas? Wouldn't you want to spend it with loved ones, and not with the concrete walls of a dormitory? And you Marine Moms! I'm always amazed at how many mothers of Marines will write in and ask if they can request a ticket on their child's behalf, because their son or daughter is in the field and can't do it themselves. Battle trained Devil Dogs they may be, but sometimes they still a little need help from Mom. And rest assured folks, nothing but heartbreak and disappointment await these fine people. You heard me. Nothing but heartbreak and disappointment await these fine people unless you and I do something about it.

I have already seen posts on some of the Marine Boards from a mother trying to find a way to get her Marine home for the holidays. One mother is trying to get her son from Camp Lejeune, NC to Boise, ID. Another mother who is in Tampa has invited other Marines to her home since her son can't be there. The support within the Marine community is tremendous. I could not have made it through these last four months without my "Marine Mom" sisters. It is a bond that is unbelievable. That's why it breaks my heart to think of someone not making it home for Thanksgiving or Christmas because they don't have enough money. These people make sacrifices for us every day. I know it's the holidays and money is tight. But, please if you do nothing more than post a plea and a link on your blog it will be a start.

My Marine, Daredevil, will not be home for the holidays. He doesn't get that option this year. He will graduate MCT on Tuesday and then head straight for Twenty-nine Palms, CA. It breaks my heart that he will not be with family. But, then again, he is with his Marine family.

Also, I have an e-mail from one mom whose son is in Iraq. He has a buddy that gets no mail or packages. She has requested assistance. If anyone is interested in helping, I can send her your information.

I read posts daily from two Marine Mom sites. Every day I cry. Sometimes I put off checking my mail. Someone is planning a funeral. Someone else came down with cancer. But, everyone pulls together to get through it and that is why I read them even though they tear me up. I love this group and community and I want to help them any way I can.

Please, spread the word so our service men and women can enjoy their holidays as much as we will enjoy ours.

Thanks.