Thursday, January 17, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom

Dear Mom,

I don't think I really and truly appreciated you until I became a mother. Now, I see the sacrifices you made. Some were great and some small but both given through unconditional love. It takes great strength to stand quietly in the wings holding your breath and biting your lip while you watch your child take risks. You've tasted a lot of blood with me. There were so many times you could have lectured, nagged or scolded me but you didn't. There were also times you dragged me by the scuff of my neck while I kicked and screamed. I made my choices and you were there no matter what the outcome. Thank you. That taught me the most when it has come to raising my own children.

The most difficult part of being a mother is knowing when to interfere and when not to interfere. It's standing there feeling helpless because you can't fix your child's broken heart. It's running weeks on end knowing what sleep deprivation is but deciding that your children's welfare is more important. It's holding your daughter's hand as she gets married for the 3rd time even though you know it's the worse man she's picked so far. It's being by her side and holding a minutes old baby up for her to see. It's being there no matter what.

A mother's love is like nothing else in the world. Thank you for loving me. Happy Birthday. I love you for all that you are and all you have given me. I hope you have a great 74th Birthday. You are special and deserve special things.

Love,

Your #4 daughter