Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thursday Thirteen: The Little Things


Sometimes in life we have to remind ourselves of the little things we have accomplished. It is so easy to demean ourselves for not reaching some major goal. It is the little steps that lead to major changes. Remember to pat yourself on the back once in a while for a minor milestone. It may be finishing a book. Losing one pound. Remembering to mail a letter to a friend. The little things in our lives may make a big impact in someone else's life.

For Thursday Thirteen, I am listing 13 things I have done.

13 Random Things I have accomplished

1. I got my SCUBA diving certification. I quit during my first certification class so it was quite an achievement to finally get it 10 years after my initial attempt. I have been rewarded by seeing a lionfish, doing a wall dive, and exploring the vast underwater world.

2. I made screens for my house. When I moved in there were no screens on any of the windows. Evidently, the prior owners never opened the windows during good weather. I'm a fresh air person.

3. I have killed a six point buck. And, I did this the first time I ever went hunting. He was killed instantly. Dropped on the spot. I have only been hunting twice. I don't think it is something I would ever do again. But, I did it. I can fire a gun. Don't mess with me.

4. I won a poetry contest. Granted it was just for Homecoming in my senior year and that was a few years ago. But, it is the only poetry contest I ever entered. I don't even have a copy of the poem.

5. I bought a house. I did this all on my own. This is a major accomplishment for me. I went from living in public housing to buying my own place without government assistance.

6. I brought three precious lives into this world.

7. I remembered to mail my son's glasses to him today. Everything was working in my favor today. I made it to the post office before they closed. I had a few other odds and ends to send him. The glasses were wrapped up in a shirt I was shipping also. As, I placed the shirt in the box, the glasses fell to the floor. I was so glad. Somehow, my glasses had ended up packed with his stuff and his glasses were in the truck. Close call. All is right in my world.

8. I can weld.

9. I can operate forklifts, loaders, cranes, dump trucks, manlifts.

10. I can back a trailer.

11. I finished a crossword puzzle.

12. I accepted a compliment today. This usually embarrasses me and I respond awkwardly. Today, I held my head up and said Thank you.

13. I posted my first Thursday Thirteen today.

Remember to celebrate the little things you do. What are you accomplishments?