Sunday, July 22, 2007

Last night...

... was reunion and goodbye.

Chowhound is in town for a performance. Six weeks ago he left to tour the country with a DCI group. This was Chowhound's last chance to see Daredevil before he leaves for bootcamp tonight and Chowhound won't be back again until August 12.

After the performance we went to a local sports bar. Chowhound's girlfriend and her family joined us as well as Daredevil's girlfriend and a couple of their other good friends.

It was tough watching my boys with their girlfriends knowing that goodbye was inevitable. Chowhound not so much as they just officially started dating the day before he left for tour. But, still she was there pouting that she only had three hours with "Cinderella". Chowhound had to be back with his group by midnight.

It broke my heart watching "Nana", Daredevil's girlfriend. She was quiet and sad. Deployment sad. At different times, Daredevil would brush her hair from her face, kiss her head and then whisper in her ear. Young love. It's not hardened by heartbreak and life yet. It's fresh, it's real, and it's raw.

The toughest part won't be anything that the DI will do to my son. It will be what this separation will do to the relationship between Nana and Daredevil. They are facing lifetime changes. Do they have what it takes to endure military life? The separations, the waiting, the reunions just followed by another goodbye. They have hung onto this relationship for almost two years. They have faced obstacles and walls. The odds are against them. The facts and figures show that more than likely they won't make it. I want them to defeat the odds.

Goodbyes Part II

I had to stop the post above mid thought. It was probably a good thing as I was getting teary eyed.

All final goodbyes have finally been said and everyone is gone. It's just me and the dog for the next three weeks. I wonder who will crack first. The dog has a head start. He's neurotic in the first place and his hair has been falling out since Chowhound left six weeks ago. He used to break out in hives now he just loses his hair. He needs doggie prozac or something. Of course, I started loses my mind the moment I gave birth to the first child so technically I have a 21 year head start.

Daredevil is gone and headed to Parris Island tomorrow. Chowhound is gone and ultimately headed for California. Improviser is still in town and took possession of Daredevil's car until his is repaired. I was proud of Daredevil for volunteering to let him use it. It is his car. He saved up his money and paid for it. He did lecture Improviser and give him the what for's and what not to do as far as his car is concerned.

I'll probably be catching up on my blog now that my time is my own. So be prepared for lots of whining and crying that my babies are growing up.