Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Just rambling

In spite of the recent events, Mom had a great birthday yesterday. We took her for afternoon tea. There is a quaint little tea house downtown that is wonderful. It is her favorite place to go. My sisters and I adorned her with fancy hats and boas and we tried our best to act prim and proper. Not. You can dress us up, you can't take us out. Luckily, we had the place to ourselves. So, for her 72nd birthday, Mom played dress up. It made her smile and that was our mission.

Even though it was sad circumstances that brought me home, I have really enjoyed being here. It has been 10 years since I have lived around my family. I usually breeze in on a holiday weekend, rush around and then fly back out. I have had the time to meet with some childhood friends, spend a little time with my sisters and a lot of time with my mother. I am really glad I was in a position to do this.

But, I miss my boys. I'm headed home after the funeral this afternoon. Today will be a long and trying day for my mother. But, she will be surrounded by her four girls and some wonderful friends. I hate that I have to leave so soon after the funeral, but I also think she needs her time alone to grieve. We have spent a great deal of time talking and she is coping well. She is a strong woman.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and support. It means a lot. I have kept Mom entertained with everyone's blogs. Especially Bou and the underwear bit. So, don't be surprised if she starts lurking around. I have tried to explain the bad example family to her. If that's possible. This family seems to be bending more than forking lately. She has been amused and asked me to make sure she can find these sites after I leave. She hasn't settled on a screen name yet. But, if you see "Dart B*tch" show up, it's her. I'm trying to discourage the name because of spam, but you know how insistent old women can be. If any has any good alternate names, suggestions are appreciated. You try to raise your parents right, but sometimes they just don't listen.