Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Bootcamp Update

Just a little update on my nephew and his wonderful adventures in Marine Bootcamp. He is at Parris Island with an anticipated graduation date of Oct. 6. My sister has been reading me his letters. I want copies of them, they are hilarious. You have to understand his warped, quiet sense of humor to really appreciate them. The first letter started out something like this, "This place SUCKS! But they gave me a kickass (something-something)M-16." Then after talking about the boys who have already dropped out and cried, he raves about the food. He sounded absolutely shocked that he could have waffles and pancakes and eggs for breakfast. Like my sister never cooked anything for him. He's a beanpole so he doesn't have to worry about overeating.

In his latest letter he talks about the confidence course. When he finished climbing the rope on his first attempt, the DI told him to do it again because he did it too fast. Then he had to do it again because he didn't yell loud enough. All total he had to do it 7 times in a row.

It sounds like he is actually enjoying it. He doesn't complain without finding something good to counter it with.

My sister is really proud as she should be. I am very proud of him too. I'll keep ya'll posted and ya'll keep encouraging thoughts heading his direction.