Saturday, March 24, 2007

Spring Smells

Spring brings the nose to life. It has so many smells. Today's birthday party/cookout for Chowhound was a prime example.

  • The hamburgers and chicken wings cooking on the charcoal grill.
  • The azaleas and roses in bloom
  • Fresh cut grass (remember I live in Florida--we cut grass year round)
  • The manure from the neighbors garden

Yes, folks. That's right. The day I plan a big outdoor event my neighbor decides is a great day to spread a truck load of manure. Fortunately for me, I decided to have Chowhound's party in the garage and front yard instead of in the screened-in porch across from their garden. Unfortunately, for the lady that lives behind me, she had her cookout in her backyard. She had blue and pink bells hanging everywhere so I think it was a bridal/baby shower. Yeah, and the wind was not blowing in a favorable direction. We got occasional whiffs of horse and cow stuff. I really didn't mind though. I have had differences with the neighbor behind me and it tickled me to know the snooty woman had to endure this too. I thought it was funny. I know that is a terrible way to be but I don't care.

Not everyone we expected showed up but a good time was still had by all. I was their biggest entertainment. I am a one hit wonder at ping pong. I hit more air molecules than anyone. I can miss the ball three or four times on the same try.

Chowhound had me in stitches last night during our practice run. He kept making fun of me. I have no hand-eye coordination or depth perception. It makes for a hilarious combination. One of the times, Chowhound sent a good solid hit my way. I slapped some air, jumped out of the way, and inadvertently blurted out, "Oh, shit!" He rolled. I will never live that one down. Never. He told all his friends too. And now evertime he walks past me he says, "oh shit". Effing teenagers. My only consolation is knowing that one day he will have teenagers too.