Monday, August 29, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

My heart and prayers go out to the people in LA, MS, AL and anyone else affected by Hurricane Katrina. All of us in Florida can relate. It is an awful feeling to watch everything you have blown or washed away.

But, you have to wonder about some people. In one of the newspapers articles today, they interviewed this man who lived on Bourbon Street. He was planning on riding out the hurricane at his house. There was a two mile line to get into the Superdome and he didn't want to wait in it. I personally wouldn't have wanted to be in the Superdome either. But, what got me was his comments. He said something to the effect that if he was going to die, he would rather " die with a beer in (his) hand and (his) best buds." Maybe it's just me, but I don't think he was referring to his friends. Personally, if I were his friend, I'd say you're on your own, Buddy! I have some very good friends that I would risk life and limb for if there was a really, really good reason. Watching a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane come at you is not a good reason. It is stupid. But, if he has burned up the majority of his brain cells, then I guess it makes sense. And, if you are brain damaged enough to sit below sea level and wait for the wind and water to wash your ass away, then I guess I would want to be smoking something extremely good too. I know that when faced with confronting Hurricane Ivan, my sister decided she would rather go rounds with Jose until he knocked her out. Wasted and ignorant is bliss.