Saturday, June 24, 2006

Perfect BBQ Pork Recipe

I went to my favorite bookstore today. I love this store. According to their sign in the window, they sell "Used, Rare, and Non-existent books". Upon entering you have to weave your way around the boxes of books in the entry way. The place is a virtual maze of books, both on the shelves and on the floor. They ran out of room probably about 20 years ago, but that didn't stop them from taking more in. You can find just about anything if you have the time and patience to look. It's my kind of store. I love it. I love plundering through the piles and boxes seeking out old treasures. The place has been added onto through the years. You can literally get lost in it. My boys have played hide and seek there.

Today as I scanned the cookbooks, The Thrill of the Grill was right before my eyes. I have been looking for this book. I bought one for my former husband years ago. It has great rubs and grilling techniques in it. I love this cookbook. As I reached for the book, I started snickering. I half expected to open the front cover and find my own handwriting in it. But no, not mine, it says, "Sept. 1993 John, We'll never forget the Lamb Chops! Really cooked! Happy Bar-B-Quing, Happy Birthday!! Karen and Alec." Well, either John didn't like the book or he quit liking Karen and Alec. Well, their loss is my gain.

This is one of my favorite recipes from the book. The meat turned out great and the rub is awesome, but the best part is the write up. (I'm going to post the best parts, if you want the entire recipe buy the book or e-mail me or wait for John to throw another one of Karen's gifts away.)

The Only Real Barbecue Sandwich, or North Carolina Pulled Pork Barbecue Sandwich

2 4- to 5-pound boneless pork butts
1 cup All-South Barbecue Rub
2 cups Eastern North Carolina-style Barbecue Sauce
Cheap White fluffy buns
Tidewater Coleslaw

Bottle of hot sauce for garnish

1. Rub the pork butts...
2. Using hardwood charcoal...
3. Place the butts on the grill...

Now, comes the part of the recipe that is the most important. Pay close attention.

4. Pull a comfortable chair and a cooler full of beer out of the house and sit next to the grill, adding small amounts of charcoal when needed to keep the fire just smoldering (about every 30 or 40 minutes or after each beer, whichever comes first).

5. Cook for 5 to 7 hours...

6. Remove the pork butts...Garnish with a bottle of hot sauce.

There you go guys. The perfect BBQ recipe. When she asked how come your just sitting around drinking beer, you just tell her, "I'm following the directions honey."

The only problem I see is the "30 or 40 minutes or after each beer, whichever comes first". I know some people who would have that fire roaring like a bon-fire. That's probably why John's lamb chops were really cooked.