Monday, August 13, 2007

Life Resumes

Chowhound is home safe and sound. Well, actually, I should say he is back. He came home and immediately stole my car and went to his girlfriend's house for homemade ice cream. I swear, I am so mistreated as a mother. I get no appreciation from these teenagers of mine.

Teal Sound brought home the bronze (3rd Place) in DCI Division II Grand Finals. Congratulations to all! Chowhound came off the plane wearing his Teal Sound jacket and his medal. Someone in the airport came up to him and congratulated him. The Blue Devils are this years Division I Champs. The Boston Crusaders, who Chowhound auditioned for and didn't make, didn't even score as high as Teal did in the finals. Their loss.

If you have never seen a DCI group perform, you are missing a treat. The time and energy these kids put into the show is phenomenal. You can go to You Tube and watch one but it doesn't do it justice. You have to see it live. Chowhound was just glowing about it. He said it was awesome. They held this years Division I finals in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California.

I think about all that Chowhound has done in his life so far. Far more than I had done by age 17. This is the second year he has done drum corps. He has been in or traveled through almost all of the states east of the Mississippi River. This year they added the southwest states. Arizona was not one of his favorite. "The scenery was great but it was hot".

What a great nation we live in. That we are able to give our children opportunities such as these. I let my 17 year old son travel with more or less strangers all over the United States. He was gone for two months. I had no worries about his safety. Other, than flying home. He said it was a piece of cake. We can do theses things and sleep at night because of our armed forces. And now, one of my own will be defending these shores shortly. I am proud to be an American Mom.