Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Revenge is my mine...(if I choose)

I had a perfect opportunity for excellent blog fodder tonight and I cut it short.

The phone rang. I didn't recognize the name or number. I answered anyhow as I don't get that many calls and I got excited at the prospect of a human voice at the other end. There are only teenagers in my house and they don't count as human. If you have ever tried to have a conversation with one you understand.

Anyhow, I answer, "Hello".

"Hi my name is Ana and I was wondering. If you died tomorrow would you be certain you are going to heaven?"

I wish it had been a video call so she could have seen the dumbfounded, shocked look on my face. Not quite what I was expecting. Usually, it's "Is Leroy home" or some other typical wrong number inquiry. This caught me off-guard. I shook my head, rattled the few brain cells I still have left and replied, "Yes."

"How do you know?"

"Because I have my faith" and I hung up.

Damn. Damn. Damn. I blew my moment of opportunity. Oh, the things someone else would have thought to say. Damn. I wish I was quicker like that.

I'm just not a spur of the moment, off the top of my head kind of person.

But, I do have her number in my caller ID so all is not lost.