Friday, April 21, 2006

Seasons of Love and the Sound of Music

Seasons of Love (from the musical RENT)


Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes,
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Moments so dear.
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?

In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights
In cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.

In five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure
A year in the life?

How about love?
How about love?
How about love? Measure in love

Seasons of love. Seasons of love

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes!
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Journeys to plan.

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure the life
Of a woman or a man?

In truths that she learned,
Or in times that he cried.
In bridges he burned,
Or the way that she died.

It's time now to sing out,
Tho' the story never ends
Let's celebrate
Remember a year in the life of friends
Remember the love!
Remember the love!
Seasons of love!

Oh you got to got to Remember the love! remember the love,
You Measure in love know that love is a gift from up above Seasons of love.
Share love, give love spread love Measure measure you life in love.
______________________________

I love this song. Absolutely love it! I heard it for the first time tonight. Our School chorus sang it. Our music director presented it to them two days ago. Just two days ago. I can't remember a song if I hear it for two months let only two days. I was impressed. Beautiful voices. They will sing this for Graduation. What a group of kids. These boys and girls range in age from 11 to 18. Yes, we are a combined middle/senior high school. Not only are some of them very young, our Chorus program is small and our band director is now teaching the Chorus because of cutbacks. I don't think he ever sees his own wife and kids because he is always with ours. I was so proud of this Chorus and I don't even have kids in it. Mine can't sing. That's why they're in the band.

This was part of our annual Spring Concert. This is a time for parents to see why they have sacrificed all their hard earned money and eardrums. The beginning band played the standard Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, Go Tell Aunt Rhodie and Kookaburra.

This took me back to Chowhound's beginning year. He started in music in the 5th grade. It was the first and last year they had a music program at that Elementary School. I have MTV to thank for directing Chowhound into music. They gave a one year grant for a teacher and instruments to the elementary school. Unfortunately, further funding wasn't available and the instructor was let go and the instruments donated to the Middle/Senior High School. But, the music bug had bitten Chowhound and his soul was infected with the sweet rhythm. At age ten, he began playing the Tenor Sax. That was the instrument he chose. He later confessed that he didn't know the names of the instruments and what he really wanted to play was the Tuba. This was fate. I love the sax and am sooooooooo glad I didn't have to listen to a beginning Tuba player. It was bad enough when he started, it sounded like a cruise ship departing. His brothers ran around yelling, "All Aboard!".

It's hard to believe he has been doing this for six years now. Tonight he played the bass clarinet for the High School Band Selections. Then he played his Sax for the Jazz Band performance. They played My Funny Valentine and 25 or 6 to 4. I didn't recognize the last song until they played. Then it was like, Hey! That's Chicago! Wow, I love it when I recognize the songs. Chowhound played a solo on the Sax. I was so proud.

I only thought I was beaming. Then, he played his solo on the MarimbaHe played Yellow after the Rain. Last month, he performed this for the state competition and received an excellent. It was the first time he had ever gone to State. As he was walking up on stage, the woman sitting next to me commented to her husband, "What a handsome young man he is." I about came out of my chair with excitement going "THAT'S MY SON!" She gave me that look like ok lady, settle down. I think she even scooted her chair further from mine.

It was great night. Unfortunately, Daredevil had to work so he didn't get to perform tonight. He plays anything they let him beat on. But, he is headed to Tallahassee in the morning for the Regional Track competition. He is pumped about it. I wish I could be there to watch but Improviser and I are headed to Pensacola to pick up his car he is buying from his Grandmother. Then, Sunday Chowhound is performing at one of the Universities here. Busy, busy weekend.