Friday, October 14, 2005

Curiosity or Boredom?

Improviser is working the 3-11 shift. Which means he essentially has no contact with anyone at home. We are gone when he gets up and in bed when he gets home. So what do you do when you have free time and no one to talk to? Well, you experiment, of course. Usually, for a mother of a 19 year old this is a frightening thought. Well, last night when I got up for my middle of the night trip to the bathroom and kitchen (because it never fails first you have to pee, then you are thirsty, so you can do it all over again in a few hours), I found he had been experimenting. What I found was a bag of flour, a box of corn starch and a bowl of some goo on the kitchen counter. My 2am sleep fogged brain thinks, "What the hell?" So, I ask him. I got some explanation about solid and liquid states of corn starch and I don't remember what else. I really wasn't comprehending this as I was busy calculating how many hours until the alarm would start blaring. Then today after work, I find this in the freezer:



Notice that the lid is not screwed on the bottle. The bottle is resting on the top of the lid. This prompted another, "What the hell?" and shaking of the head. Groan. I can never tell what goes through that child's mind. I'm sure there is a very good explanation. And, I have no doubt I will hear it in the wee hours when my brain is screaming for no input.