Friday, October 07, 2005

Phobias. Do you have...?

I found an interesting site that list phobias. I have not checked these out to see if they are actual phobias or not, just going by what was on the site. There were some I recognized and some that made sense. Then there were others you just have to wonder about. I don't have time to look them up. If you do and any of these are inaccurate, let me know. Or just make up your own and leave them in the comments.

It states that, "Broken down by age and gender, the National Institute of Mental Health study found phobias were the most common psychiatric illness among women in all age groups and the second most common illness among men older than 25. "

Do you have...

gatophobia, galeophobia, felinophobia, elurophobia, or ailurophobia? If so, you have a fear of cats. Why do they need five different words for it? I think 9 would be more appropriate. One for every life.

hippophobia?No, it is not a fear of hippos. VWBug does not have this fear. It is a fear of horses.

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia or sesquipedalophobia: If you are afraid of long words you won't even want to try and say what your phobia is.

My kids claim they have didaskaleinophobia or schoolschlionophobia. I think it's just an excuse not to go to school. They are not afraid of school just work.

I really liked this one. Arachibutyrophobia The fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth. That's not a fear; that's reality.

I don't think we will find any male members of the Bad Example Family with these phobias: caligynephobia,gynophobia,venustraphobia. I think they would rather die than have a fear of beautiful women. And, that goes for dipsophobia, too. No fear of drinking in that bunch.

I wish more people had allodoxaphobia. It's a fear of opinions; hopefully, their own.

I don't have batonophobia. But, plants should have a fear of me.

I am beginning to get liticaphobia and decidophobia. A fear of lawsuits and making decisions.

And I'm really afraid I am getting phronemophobia rhytiphobia. The fear of thinking about getting wrinkles.

I'm afraid that's all I have for now.